Discover Your Forest is hiring for the following Opportunities:
Visitor Host for Newbery National Volcanic Monument (Bend)
Part-time Seasonal 21-32 hours/week (may vary
Lava Lands Visitor Host assists Deschutes National Forest in providing an exciting and enjoyable experience for visitors at Newberry National Volcanic Monument.
This position is for Lava River Cave and Lava Lands Visitors Center.
Work Schedule: April 29-September 30, 21-32 hours per week. (May vary)*** Must be available to work weekends***
* Providing outstanding customer service and insuring that visitors are served promptly, courteously and satisfactory.
* Reporting monthly merchandise and pass sales to Retail manager.
* General cash register, credit card machine and overall sales operation including opening and closing procedure.
* Confidence in selling retail products.
* Accurate End of day accounting of retail and pass sales.
* Distributing LED lights to guest.
* Enter cave with Forest Service staff.
* Assuring that all DYNW property is adequately secured against loss.
* Assuring merchandise is properly cared for and displayed in a neat, attractive manner and well stocked for sales.
Required Personal Attributes:
* Familiarity of visitor attractions on Newberry National Volcanic Monument and Deschutes National Forest Service.
* Personal integrity, initiative, and foresight.
* Ability to maintain a positive and productive rapport with customers, team members and professional associates.
* Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing Ability to think critically, solve problems creatively, and adapt to change.
* Ability to stand for long periods of time.
* Ability to work in all elements of weather.
* Ability to move and lift objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
* All DYNW sales areas are operated according to the terms of a contract with the public land agency to which the site belongs for the purpose of promoting and supporting the agencies educational and interpretive efforts.
* All DYNW activities are directly or indirectly dedicated to serving this purpose.
* Position is located on Federal property and requires a high level of cooperation with agency staff.
Submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please no phone calls and we ask that you do not contact any Forest Service, Newberry National Volcanic Monument or Discover Your Northwest personnel regarding this position.
Newberry National Volcanic Monument Visitor Experience Specialist
The NNVM Visitor Experience Specialist position provides an opportunity to develop relevant skills in volunteer management, interpretation, and customer service while supporting the visitor experience and information goals of the Deschutes National Forest (DNF) and Discover Your Forest (DYF) at Newberry National Volcanic Monument. In partnership with DNF staff, projects will include planning, organizing, coordinating and leading volunteer projects and visitor programs within the Newberry National Volcanic Monument. Assists in the administration tasks to coordinate the NNVM volunteer and internship program. Promotes the volunteer program by providing information to Central Oregon communities, schools, and organizations. In partnership with DYF and DNF staff, oversees temporary volunteers and interns.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve those on our national forests and grasslands from every background. Discover Your Forest values diversity and inclusion. By welcoming differences and providing professional enrichment opportunities we are better able to serve those around us.
Salary: $15.00 hourly
Job Type: Full-time Seasonal. Approx. March 18 – October 11, 2019
Department: Community Engagement/Volunteer Coordination
Reports to: Community Engagement Director
Recruitment: Application window ends Friday, March 22nd
Specific Duties include but not limited to:
• Updates and maintains Volgistics, Volunteer and Contact Database.
• Manages the volunteer experience and assists with coordination of programs and services at Newberry National Volcanic Monument as needed.
• Understands and develops interpretive programs to assist volunteer staff when they are not available. Coordinates schedule and interpretive programs shifts directly with volunteers to cover any replacement needs.
• Assist in the development and delivery of the Newberry National Volcanic Monument Interpretive Plans.
• Assist in volunteer communications to include email and phone support.
• Volunteer and intern on-boarding and general on-going needs (forms, certifications, uniforms, nametags, gifts, food, housing, etc.).
• Help to plan and execute large- and small-scale, NNVM Volunteer and Community and Stewardship Events.
• Represent Discover Your Forest at community events and meetings.
• Provide additional administrative support for Community Engagement Director and Executive Director as needed, specifically for Newberry National Volcanic Monument.
• Supports volunteer camp hosts and volunteer mentoring program.
• Along with the Forest Service Park Rangers, design and coordinate the onboarding and training of Camp Hosts and Interns, with support of the NNVM Management Leadership Team.
• Lead Jr. Ranger programs if Camp Hosts or Interns are not available.
• Promote NNVM programs in community, media and posters.
• Primary contact for coordination of Pubic Tour reservations.
• Helps to support the coordination of printed materials.
• Support service learning projects in NNVM.
• Coordinate and complete the residential staff expense reimbursements.
In order to be successful in this role, the ideal candidate will have:
• A sincere and genuine interest in engaging with visitors and volunteers of all ages and diverse backgrounds.
• A love for the outdoors and excitement about learning and teaching.
• Attention to detail and accuracy.
• A sense of flexibility and cooperation.
• An attitude of tolerance and respect for all people’s points of view.
• A pleasant and outgoing personality.
• Strong writing and editing skills are required.
• A commitment to the mission of Discover Your Forest and the US Forest Service.
• Self-motivated, detail-orientated with strong written, verbal and organizational skills.
• The ability to work independently and/or with others.
• Experience in volunteering.
• Experience in volunteer recruiting through various channels.
• Working knowledge of databases and MS Office required.
• Excellent organizational and team coordination abilities.
• BS/BA in Forestry, Natural Resources, Outdoor Recreation or other Natural Resource discipline or relevant field work not required but will be appreciated.
This position will be roughly 50% in an office environment working at a computer and 50% serving in the field. Some weekends and evening shifts are required. Position is located on Federal property and requires a high level of cooperation with agency staff.
We may conduct reference checks as part of our recruitment process. We will conduct criminal background checks on final candidate as required for the position and access to the network.
Questions and How to Apply:
• For more information contact Stacey Cochran, Discover Your Forest’s Community Engagement Director, at 541-383-5530 or email@example.com
• To apply: Email Cover Letter and Resume to Stacey.firstname.lastname@example.org. The cover letter should address your experience as it pertains to this opportunity.