Career Pathways

Join the Next Generation of Environmental Stewards

Discover Your Forest is committed to providing valuable experiential learning for young adults through various career exploration workshops, in-field training opportunities, and paid career trainee programs. Along with these highly mentored opportunities, we provide instructional workshops on federal jobs resume building, USAJOBS application process, shadowing with experts in the field, and a variety of other professional resources to help get into a career on their public lands. It’s our goal to reach all students in Central Oregon and break down barriers to learning. Develop your skills in one of the following training opportunities available now:

Forest Wide Interpretive Program Lead

The Discover Your Forest Interpretive Program Lead position provides an opportunity to develop relevant skills in formal and informal interpretation. The position will also include work in the field of program coordination, conservation education and customer service while supporting the visitor experience and information goals of the Deschutes National Forest and Discover Your Forest. These programs will occur at specific campsites and popular summer lodges around Central Oregon.  In partnership with Discover Your Forest, staff team member will lead interpretive, conservation education and Jr. Forest Ranger programs to the public. The Interpretive Program Lead will spend approximately 80% of time working as an interpreter/educator in the field, the remaining 20% supporting other Discover Your Forest events or programs. Full-time Seasonal opportunity, from approximately April 1, 2020 – Aug 31, 2020

2020 AmeriCorps Wilderness Trainee Position Description
Through a partnership between The Deschutes National Forest, Heart of Oregon, and Discover Your Forest. The Deschutes National Forest is seeking four Generation Green AmeriCorps Members for the summer of 2020.  These positions will conduct service related to Wilderness stewardship. Members will report daily to the Forest Service and serve as an AmeriCorps Wilderness Ranger for the duration of their service. This position works with other corps members, Forest Service and Discover Your Forest staff, and volunteers to complete daily duties.

2020 NNVM Caldera Ranger Trainee Position Description
Deschutes National Forest is looking for a motivated individual to serve as a Ranger Training Intern at Newberry National Volcanic Monument in Newberry Caldera. Paulina Visitor Center (Historic Guard Station) is located near the shores of Paulina Lake within Newberry Caldera. It was originally built in 1942, and has been in regular use for many decades. The Paulina Guard Station is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Since 2009, Paulina Guard Station has served as a Visitor Center and bookstore for Newberry National Volcanic Monument. Monument managers wish to highlight the Guard Station history, rich human history surrounding the caldera, and have professional-caliber information/interpretation specialists for the site’s thousands of annual visitors. Trainees will welcome and orient Monument visitors, provide in-depth information and interpretation about Monument sites, perform recreation maintenance tasks, and support campground operations.. This trainee program is managed by the Deschutes National Forest Non-profit Partner, Discover Your Forest where day-to-day assignments are supervised the USFS.

For more information about career pathways, contact Stacey Cochran, 541-383-5530 or stacey.cochran@discovernw.org.

You are donating to : Discover Your Forest

How much would you like to donate?
$10 $20 $30
Would you like to make regular donations? I would like to make donation(s)
How many times would you like this to recur? (including this payment) *
Name *
Last Name *
Email *
Phone
Address
Additional Note
paypalstripe
Loading...